Saturday, October 27, 2007

WINE no more , It’s chocolate time !!!!


“70% premium dark chocolate from Sao Tome” I read aloud holding the deep brown-purple color chocolate cover.
It was something I never had read before, “NO…not the words ‘premium dark chocolate’ but those figures preceding them”.
I realized it meant much more than just figures or the cacao content it had. Well, we’ll get to that a bit later….
First off, I shall inform you that I consider myself to be a self-professed connoisseur in tasting tea and coffee. Plus am one among those few people who prefer iced tea instead of coke with my Pizza. Not just, because of the calories it contains but for the distinct tangy taste it gives, which goes well with the smooth mozzarella. Ummm… yum…
Ahem!
If you are one among those observant lot; you might be wondering by now if I just made a mistake in writing 'cacao' instead of 'cocoa'. Well, if you think so then the answer is a big NO!!!
It’s all about cacao that I am going to write and that people are already crazy about.
For those of you who didn’t know- Cacao is a tree from which cocoa and chocolate are made. There are usually two ways of making chocolate. The traditional being from cacao beans; you can make cocoa, which is used in making chocolate. The contemporary method requires you to make chocolate directly from the cacao beans, also called the ‘single sourced chocolate’.
On further observation I inferred that the terms like sweet, semisweet and bittersweet have been replaced by numbers such as 34pc, 53pc or 70pc . The percentage signifying the quantity of ‘single sourced chocolate’.
This has sparked off a trend which shall blanket the world very soon, that is to taste “YOUR CHOCOLATE” like it did with wine and coffee.
But, chocolate is much more complex than tea or coffee. I believe it shall be more like learning the intricacies of fine Wine.
So next time you go hopping by to pick up a premium chocolate as a perfect present for someone, look out for those figures 74, 53 or 34. But, do remember whatever the percent it does not affect the quantity of your chocolate.

Till then…..i shall sit back and relish my ‘single sourced 70pc cacaoed chocolate from the high end South African fields’. :)

No comments: