Thursday, October 25, 2007

I was standing at the window sill, sipping coffee. Quietly looked at him from the corner of my eye. He stood there with a mischievous smile on his face. Trying to read his thoughts and wary of what would be next. I groaned “What?!” that’s when I noticed him wearing a thick gold chain.
The alphabet S, in gold, dangled from the chain.
I questioned him about what the ‘S’ stood for?
He slipped deep in thought as if contemplating something and looked at me. Breaking into a mischievous smile, he informed me that his cousin brother’s name begins with this letter. “Oh! Yeah”, I said laughing.
He winked, and sipped the last of his coffee. Wished me “Get well soon, baby!” and walked away.

Similarly, the other day my boss showed us his newly made engagement ring in lovely white and yellow gold engraved with the name of his fiancée.
These incidents left me wondering how we wear ornaments as symbols of love and exclusitivity of our possession and of our claims on the other’s body and their claim on ours.

No comments: